Friday, February 19, 2010

some pun about patterns or something, like in TeenVogue

I don't think I've mentioned this on this blog, because I haven't really touched on my life in any way, but one of the main reasons I finally had the time to start a fashion blog is that I'm studying abroad in Florence for the spring semester and the curriculum here is much less demanding and rigorous than at my university at home. WAY less.

Anyway, that explanation was only necessary because these are some patterns from some early Christian mosaics in Ravenna which I visited earlier in the semester and I find them soo inspiring. All of these details are from the mausoleum of Galla Placidia which is a really small one roomed building where she was buried and the inside is completely covered in this:






swooning ensues. I really really want garments that incorporate these patterns now. I keep fantasizing about embroidering some of these onto things even though I know I would only have three options:

1. don't actually start.

2. don't actually finish.

3. kill myself in the process of embroidering really complex and multi-color patterns.

SO that sounds really promising, and I'm really excited and I'll let you know how that turns out.

P.S. If you want to know more about Ravenna in general you can read my post about our day at my professional blog (which is really just a travel blog for this semester) although it's not super information heavy. Really if you want to get into to it crack an art history book, it's the best way.

p.s. London fashion week is going pretty great! I'll post my favorites soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment